Definition and qualities of polyester
Polyester is the most widely produced and used synthetic fiber worldwide and is derived from petroleum or natural gas derivatives. Continuous advances in the industry have contributed to the creation of polyester fabrics that manage to mimic both the texture and feel of natural fibers.
Some of its characteristics are:
- It is an economical but quality material.
- It is very durable and does not wrinkle, stretch or shrink.
- It is easy to wash and dries quickly.
- It is very elastic and flexible.
- It is stain resistant.
- It has a high gloss.
- Resistant, light and easy to work with.
- Polyester is very resistant to moisture, UV rays, chemicals, abrasions and extreme weather conditions.
- Repels fungus, mildew and even bacteria and odor.
- Highly resilient and breathable.
- Can be easily blended with other materials such as rayon, cotton, wool, nylon or viscose to improve the final product quality.
- Polyester garments usually feature brighter colors and prints and are also more durable.
Polyester fabric uses and applications
Polyester is a very versatile material and is mostly used in the manufacture of sportswear, but it is also perfect in fashion uses, and can be widely used
and can be widely used to make shirts and pants. Apart from clothing, polyester fabric is also found in household uses such as curtains and tablecloths, thanks to its insulating and chemical protection properties, and in recyclable plastic packaging, industrial matrixes or paints.
Polyester and sustainability
Unfortunately, polyester, being manufactured from substances such as petroleum and requiring large amounts of water for its cooling process, is arguably not the most environmentally friendly alternative. Also, this type of synthetic fibers tend to release microplastics that pollute the seabed. So, if you want to opt for a more sustainable solution, you can choose to buy recycled polyester and circular polyester. At Recovo we have a wide range of circular fabrics, including recycled polyesters, which you can use in your collection to take advantage of surplus fabric and avoid manufacturing new synthetic fabrics that negatively affect natural resources.
For more information on circularity and the positive environmental impact of shopping at Recovo, click here to go to our sustainability section.
FAQ about sourcing polyester fabrics in Recovo
Where do you ship to?
Recovo's deadstock polyester fabrics and other fabrics are currently only shipped to EU countries.
If I buy today, how long will it take to receive my order of deadstock fabrics?
Shipping takes between 5-7 days for domestic shipments and 7-15 days for shipments to the rest of the EU.